Be safety conscious when you are trying to unblock your toilet. Make sure the room is well-ventilated, put on a pair of protective rubber gloves and mop up spillages.
Below are tips on how to unblock a clogged toilet:
- Do not flush a blocked toilet to prevent the toilet from overflowing
- Put on your rubber gloves, check if it is an object causing the blockage and pull it out
- If the above doesn’t work, it is time to use your plunger. Gently push the plunger up and down against the blockage to dislodge it. Flush and clean the toilet
- If using the plunger does not work, you can buy a commercial drain cleaner and follow the instructions, or use a homemade drain cleaner
- Call a professional if you do not succeed in unblocking the toilet on your own